My mission was to save money. Now, I want to help others do the same. I know that God gave me the knack to do this, and I want to help in both education and giving.

Monday, June 20, 2011

First trip to CVS:sucess!

I have been going to Rite Aid and Walgreens here and there for a while now. I decided it was finally time to start using that ExtraCare card I sent for a few months ago when I first started couponing. Today I went to CVS for the first time! I think I was just as excited to use the Coupon center as I was to see how well stocked things were and the savings I could get.

Believe it or not, the shelves were okay. I got the last Hershey's Bliss, but other than that, they had everything I wanted. Now, I broke a cardinal rule of mine. I wasn't able to go first to just scope out how things are laid out so that shopping is much easier, but I wanted to go with Brad and there was just no time yesterday to go alone. It wasn't too long of a trip, though.

I guess I was worried that my savings wouldn't be that great simply because I have never shopped there the coupon way. I remember what it was like when I first started all of this. I was probably only saving about 30% at most. For the past month, I've been able to save at least 60%, and that includes buying fresh produce and meat.

On to my visit. I was pleasantly surprised. By breaking up my items into two transactions, I saved over 70%!!!! :D Here is what I got:

Transaction 1:
Colgate Total toothpaste: $2.79, earned $2.00 ExtraCare Bucks
                                       -$0.75 manufacturer coupon
Hershey Bliss Choco: $5.99, earned $5.99 ECB
                                   -$1.00 manufacturer coupon
PowerBar Energy bites: $2.49, earned $2.49 ECB

Total Out of Pocket: $9.98
Total ECB earned: $10.48 ......which means I made $0.50 for buying all of this! :)

Transaction 2:
5 cokes, which were on a special 5/$13
                                                    -$1/3 manufacturer coupon
                                      so, it was 5/$12 for me
Then, I used all three ECBs I earned for Transaction #1
$12-$10.48=$1.48, and with tax: $1.91!

For both transactions:
Total O.O.P.: $11.89 for over $40 worth of product :)

By the way, since I was doing two transactions, I went when it was a really quiet time of the day. I was actually the only customer there. I would not do this at a busy time, and if there was someone behind me, I would go the back of the line for the 2nd transaction. Courtesy goes a long way!

No comments:

Post a Comment